Below are details of the process involved in getting your driving licence. Should you have any queries then please call.
To get your first provisional driving licence online for a car, motorcycle or moped you must:
be a resident of Great Britain – there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
- meet the minimum age requirement
- meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- not be prevented from driving for any reason
- pay £34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
- have your National Insurance number if known
- provide addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online.
When you can apply
- You can apply for a provisional driving licence when you’re 15 years and 9 months old.
- You can start driving when you’re:
- 17 if you want to drive a car
- 16 if you want to ride a moped or light quad bike
- Your licence will say when you can start driving different vehicles.
- You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.
- You must also have an adequate field of vision – your optician can tell you about this and do a test.
The practical driving test eyesight test
At the start of your practical driving test you have to correctly read a number plate on a parked vehicle.
If you can’t, you’ll fail your driving test and the test won’t continue. DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.
When you reapply for your driving licence, DVLA will ask you to have an eyesight test with DVSA. This will be at a driving test centre. If you’re successful, you’ll still have to pass the DVSA standard eyesight test at your next practical driving test.
You can drive a car when you are 16 if you get, or have applied for, the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
If you apply online you’ll be agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
The steps to getting your licence
Click to view / hide info